UC San Diego’s Commitment to Undocumented Members of Our Community
Today’s decision by the Trump administration to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program (DACA) is distressing. At UC San Diego, our DACA students are pursuing their education in some of the most challenging degree programs, conducting research, performing community service and enhancing our campus community.
We are deeply troubled by today’s decision and stand in solidarity with the statement issued by University of California President Janet Napolitano: https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/press-room/uc-president-napolitano-statement-decision-end-daca-program
At UC San Diego, we are committed to the academic success of all of our students, including DACA students, and remaining an accessible university for higher education. The University of California and UC San Diego offer resources to those impacted by this policy decision, including UC San Diego’s Undocumented Student Services Center. We will continue to offer services to our undocumented students, including:
- Continuing to allow California residents who are Dreamers to pay in-state tuition;
- Maintaining the DREAM loan program for financial aid;
- Offering legal services to our undocumented students;
- Supporting campus-based student service centers; and
- Directing campus police not to contact, detain, question or arrest individuals based on suspected undocumented status, or to enter agreements to undertake joint efforts to make arrests for federal immigration law violations.
We support President Napolitano’s call upon Congress, and issue our own call, to act immediately to pass pending bipartisan legislation to permanently protect these young men and women.
Pradeep K. Khosla
Chair, Academic Senate
Interim Executive Vice Chancellor – Academic Affairs
David A. Brenner
Vice Chancellor – Health Sciences
Dean, School of Medicine
Vice Chancellor – Marine Sciences
Director, Scripps Institution of Oceanography
Vice Chancellor – Research
Juan C. Gonzalez
Vice Chancellor – Student Affairs
Gary C. Matthews
Vice Chancellor – Resource Management and Planning
Vice Chancellor and Chief Financial Officer
Vice Chancellor – Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
You May Also Like
Stay in the Know
Keep up with all the latest from UC San Diego. Subscribe to the newsletter today.