- Leslie Sepuka
- Leslie Sepuka
UC San Diego Announces Inaugural Artists Performing at the Epstein Family Amphitheater
UC San Diego will celebrate the opening of the Epstein Family Amphitheater in October with an inaugural lineup of thrilling performances at the new 2,650-seat, open-air venue on the UC San Diego Blue Line.
Designed with entertainers of the highest caliber in mind, the Epstein Family Amphitheater is a showcase for performing arts, featuring local and international talent in everything from large-scale rock concerts to classical quartets and theatrical dance.
“There really is something for everyone at UC San Diego,” said UC San Diego Chancellor Pradeep K. Khosla. “These inaugural artists reflect the wide-ranging and evolving interests of not only our students, faculty and staff, but also of our greater bi-national community.”
Tickets for the following performances can be purchased on the Epstein Family Amphitheater website.
- Argentine folk-fusion quartet Fémina on Friday, October 7. Tickets on sale Monday, July 18.
- San Diego Symphony on Friday, October 21, featuring music from UC San Diego alumna Anna Thorvaldsdottir and UC San Diego faculty Lei Liang and Rand Steiger, alongside works by Stravinsky and Barber. Presale tickets for UC San Diego faculty, staff and students go on sale Thursday, July 7. UC San Diego faculty, staff and students will also have the opportunity to sign up, on a first-come, first-served basis, for free lawn tickets for this performance. Please check the the Epstein Family Amphitheater website for more information in early September.
- Alternative rock band, Death Cab for Cutie on Saturday, October 22, in support of new album “Asphalt Meadows.” Presale tickets for UC San Diego faculty, staff and students go on sale Thursday, July 7. UC San Diego faculty, staff and students will also have the opportunity to sign up, on a first-come, first-served basis, for free lawn tickets for this performance. Please check the Epstein Family Amphitheater website for more information in early September.
- A new production rooted in the celebration of Life and Death, Las Cafeteras’ Hasta La Muerte on Thursday, October 27. Tickets on sale Monday, July 18.
The amphitheater features projection equipment that provides patrons with an intimate view of performances, and allows for film screenings and speaking events. The new performance space is also an inspiring addition for the university’s celebrated theater, dance, visual arts and music programs.
“The Epstein Family Amphitheater will open tremendous opportunities for UC San Diego to provide inclusive, accessible, creative programming that is appealing to our campus and to the greater San Diego community,” said Executive Vice Chancellor Elizabeth H. Simmons. “Groups throughout the university, such as our Campus Arts Programming Collaboratory, are working together to shape a variety of arts events and exhibitions that will establish our campus as a vibrant arts destination in the region.”
When not hosting a performance, the Epstein Family Amphitheater serves as a public, open space for recreation, celebration and connection. People throughout the region can enjoy free events in October including:
- A full day of recreational classes on Thursday, October 20.
- A daylong community event on Sunday, October 23, featuring a marketplace, music, food and family entertainment, capped off by a film night.
- Blacktronika: Where I Stand Festival on Saturday, October 29, brings together six innovative musical groups ranging from free jazz to cosmic funk to create a full day of sonic cultural expression. Register in advance on the amphitheater website.
Located on the Central Campus trolley station on the UC San Diego Blue Line, the Epstein Family Amphitheater creates a welcoming entrance to the university. “The fact that someone can step off the Blue Line trolley and be at the amphitheater speaks to opening the university to a much more expansive and inclusive set of people, which is exciting to our family,” said Daniel Epstein of his family’s namesake amphitheater. Phyllis Epstein added, “We are thrilled that the new venue will present outstanding artists and exciting events, and will also give our incredible students opportunities to experience the use of a state-of-the-art amphitheater.”
For many in the region, the Epstein Family Amphitheater will be a grand introduction to the wealth of culture, connection and enrichment opportunities offered to everyone at the region’s premier public university.
“Not only is UC San Diego a preferred destination for education, medicine and research, but it is also a major center for arts and culture, entertainment and recreation, and community makerspace,” said Khosla. “We are inviting fellow residents of our greater region to reacquaint themselves with one of their best public assets. And with fast, efficient access via the UC San Diego Blue Line Trolley, it is easier than ever to get to know your UC San Diego.”
Learn more about the Epstein Family Amphitheater and additional upcoming performances and events by visiting the amphitheater website.
You May Also Like
Stay in the Know
Keep up with all the latest from UC San Diego. Subscribe to the newsletter today.